Using string resources in conformance tests.

Michael Mc Donnell michael at mcdonnell.dk
Tue Jun 29 12:39:46 CDT 2010

Thanks for taking the time to write a comment Juan.

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Juan Lang <juan.lang at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
>> I use the LoadString function to get the "New folder" string from
>> shell32.dll that is used for creating a new folder. The problem is
>> that the location where it is stored in shell32.dll varies between the
>> different versions of Windows. I can only make the test work on one
>> version at a time. Even the capitalization varies between the
>> different versions of Windows, i.e. "New Folder" vs. "New folder".
>
> It appears as though you shouldn't be doing this in a conformance
> test.  It varies enough that applications can't depend on the resource
> ID or string value being the same in different versions of Windows.
> Our conformance tests try to test for invariants across Windows
> versions, i.e. behavior that applications may depend on or expect.

Yeah that sounds reasonable. I guess it means there will be very few
Windows applications that depend on the folder getting the correct
"New folder" name and we can therefore ignore this issue.

> You might check the contents of the containing folder before and after
> the command is executed, and make sure that at least one new folder
> exists after the command is executed.

Super, my test already does this. I'll cut out the resource handling
part and clean the patch up so it will be ready for when the code
freeze is lifted.

Michael Mc Donnell