(Resent) Documentation - Reference to MSDN?

Erich Hoover ehoover at mines.edu
Wed Jun 30 13:10:08 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Juan Lang <juan.lang at gmail.com> wrote:

> A more general response:  I'm not sure that a lot of documentation
> patches will be accepted.  MSDN has to be considered the definitive
> resource for the Windows API.  It's often incorrect, of course, and
> our regression tests aim to ameliorate the inaccuracy, but we probably
> have enough work implementing the Windows API without taking on the
> task of documenting it too.
> --Juan

I was looking into this a while ago and you can add documentation to
the "Wine API" by properly formatting it in your patches, for example:
http://source.winehq.org/WineAPI/CreateIcon.html
is generated from the code here:
http://source.winehq.org/source/dlls/user32/cursoricon.c#L1473

Personally, I think that it would be really good to do a better job of
documenting the API functions (particularly edge cases).  I'm
currently very busy with work, but if Alexandre is ok with
documentation-only patches then this is something I'm tempted to jump
on (in the areas where I have sufficient familiarity) when I have some
more free time.

Erich Hoover
ehoover at mines.edu