(Resent) Documentation - Reference to MSDN?

Erich Hoover ehoover at mines.edu
Wed Jun 30 13:54:54 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Alexandre Julliard
<julliard at winehq.org> wrote:
> Erich Hoover <ehoover at mines.edu> writes:
>
>> Personally, I think that it would be really good to do a better job of
>> documenting the API functions (particularly edge cases).  I'm
>> currently very busy with work, but if Alexandre is ok with
>> documentation-only patches then this is something I'm tempted to jump
>> on (in the areas where I have sufficient familiarity) when I have some
>> more free time.
>
> I'm not OK with it. If you want to start a project to document the
> Windows API, go ahead, but don't put that in the Wine source, that's not
> where it belongs.

Alright, well then I won't do it.  Is the existing documentation going
to be stripped at some point?  It seems to me like we would benefit
from more-detailed function descriptions in the auto-generated API
documentation.  I think it would save a lot of time for new developers
to get their feet wet if they were able to see directly in the source
what the different functions are supposed to do (as best as we know)
and exactly what applications will trigger known edge cases (or if
there's a test for a given situation).

Erich Hoover
ehoover at mines.edu