winmm/midi tests and VMware

Julius Schwartzenberg julius.schwartzenberg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 04:47:25 CST 2010

Hi Paul,

Paul Vriens wrote:
> There are 2 ways (I can see) to fix this issue:
>
> 1. Get rid of (or disable) the sound device on the failing boxes. This
> means of course far less coverage of tests.
> 2. There is an option in the Audio control panel to only use the default
> devices. This doesn't prevent the 'enumeration' from listing the failing
> device but we could have the tests skip 'non default' devices. The
> attached patch is a first attempt and does work on my XP box.

A third option could be to try a different driver. The hardware VMware
emulates. SB PCI128, doesn't have any MIDI capabilities as far as I
know. The original Windows driver contained a software sequencer to
support MIDI. (Different from the one Windows started to include later
itself.)

Maybe using a different driver from the Creative site could let things
work better.

Regards,
Julius