winmm/midi tests and VMware

Paul Vriens paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 13:54:35 CST 2010

On 03/02/2010 08:47 PM, Julius Schwartzenberg wrote:
> Paul Vriens wrote:
>> I give up. Tried several combinations on XP (old and newer driver with
>> or without waveset files), to no avail.
>
> I found a solution. The earlier stuff I wrote here is completely
> unrelated. The Creative soft-synth included with the drivers using the
> wave sets works fine.
>
> It's the external midi stuff that hangs. This is likely because VMware's
> MPU-401 emulation is non-existent. (Normally I understand this would go
> to the wide jack on your soundcard.)
>
> To solve the problem you have to remove the MPU device. Open
> inf\wdma_ens.inf in the Windows directory and remove all lines and
> sections with UART in them. When using drivers from Creative, you need
> to extract them manually first and do the same thing with the included
> inf file (in addition to the one above for some reason!).
>
> This will prevent the MPU-401 device from installing. You should have
> just the soft-syths which should not cause any programs to hang.
>
> Regards,
> Julius

Hi Julius,

Great!! This is exactly the behavior I was seeing. As said using the
external midi also hangs Microsoft Media Player.

I will give your suggestions a try. I will also check how it influences
the other sound related tests.

I didn't want to go the easy road by uninstalling/disabling sound
altogether and this certainly sound good.

--
Cheers,

Paul.