winmm/midi tests and VMware

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 18:30:29 CST 2010

On 3 March 2010 06:47, Julius Schwartzenberg
<julius.schwartzenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul Vriens wrote:
>>
>> I give up. Tried several combinations on XP (old and newer driver with or
>> without waveset files), to no avail.
>
> I found a solution. The earlier stuff I wrote here is completely unrelated.
> The Creative soft-synth included with the drivers using the wave sets works
> fine.
>
> It's the external midi stuff that hangs. This is likely because VMware's
> MPU-401 emulation is non-existent. (Normally I understand this would go to
> the wide jack on your soundcard.)
>
> To solve the problem you have to remove the MPU device. Open
> inf\wdma_ens.inf in the Windows directory and remove all lines and sections
> with UART in them. When using drivers from Creative, you need to extract
> them manually first and do the same thing with the included inf file (in
> addition to the one above for some reason!).
>
> This will prevent the MPU-401 device from installing. You should have just
> the soft-syths which should not cause any programs to hang.
>
> Regards,
> Julius

If I understand this correctly, Wine/the tests are correctly detecting
an MPU-401 "hardware" synth device because the driver is loaded, but
VMware doesn't emulate the hardware and ends up confusing Windows and
hanging (presumably due to some I/O wait). I'd call this a bug in
VMware.