Change Journal and VSS analog in Wine

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 3 21:32:25 CST 2010

Michael Stefaniuc wrote:
> Dmitry Konnov wrote:
>
>> MS> well I would phrase that differently: the backend that collects and
>> MS> restores the data from the filesystem needs to be a native application.
>>
>> but Change Journal is ntdll.dll DeviceIoControl with certain
>> options call.
>>
> No. It is a functionality of the NTFS filesystem. If you call change
> journal on a FAT volume or on a CDROM the call will fail. MacOSX uses
> the HFS+ filesystem. So if you want something like change journal you'll
> have to implement it in the MacOSX filesystem aka kernel. Even if
> you/Apple get that done it is still a stupid idea to use a Windows
> backup program in Wine to backup the host system; there are other
> features of the host system that to not map to the Windows world and
> thus would get lost during the backup/restore process.

Besides, MacOSX 10.5+ comes with its own built in backup system: Time
Machine.  This looks like a bad attempt to re-invent the wheel (yes the
pun IS intended.)  Unless you are using something similar to Symantec
Backup for UNIX, you will not get everything.  Windows backup software
is for Windows and is designed that way.  If you are trying to backup
Wine files, you should really be using a native software product to
backup the native files.

Yes, Wine implements ntdll BTW, and it is a core file and should not be
replaced with ntdll from a Windows system.

James McKenzie