wined3d: Add Nvidia 8800GTX detection

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 15:55:24 CST 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmx.at> wrote:

> Am 08.03.2010 um 14:21 schrieb Roderick Colenbrander:
>
>> Hi Luke,
>>
>> We don't want to have all possible GPU models in (there are so many
>> different models). It only gives a hint to apps (yes the proper amount
>> of video memory is more serious) but this should be fixed in a
>> different way I think e.g. nv-control. I think I might look into that
>> again soon.
> I disagree.
>
> Some cards are sold with "enabled special feature X in game Y". The game then looks at the card ID to allow additional configuration options. An example for this is Age of Empires 3 which allows the highest graphics options only for some Geforce 7 models(and a few ATI radeon models).
>
> Our current detection system is fine-grained enough for AoE3, but there may be other games. I think the current setup(especially with the recent improvements) scales well enough that we can make the detection more fine-grained.

Sure we need cards in the database but this comment was regarding
having dozens of similar models. Right now we detect a generic Geforce
8800 but if you are exact then you'll find a 8800 GT, a 8800 GTS, a
8800 GTS; I would prefer if we would keep that called 8800. For some
models there are perhaps upto 10 submodels.

Roderick