measuring audio latency?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Mar 8 23:40:51 CST 2010

Hey folks,
before Maarten goes and implements wine audio
on top of OpenAL, does anyone know of a nice
automated tool for measuring audio latency
that works on multiple APIs?  i.e. it'd be cool
if one could plug in a loopback cable,
run an app once, and get a report of the
round trip audio latency with each of the available
sound APIs in Linux or Win32 (or both), depending
on how it was compiled.

We'd want to verify that OpenAL scores as well as ALSA
before doing the big rewrite, and we could use it as a
manual regression test during the rewrite.

I looked for such a thing, and recorded everything
related to measuring audio latency on Linux or Windows at
http://wiki.winehq.org/MeasuringAudioLatency
but I didn't find my mythical test program.

I'd write it myself, but my wrists are really shot...