measuring audio latency?

Dan Kegel dank at
Tue Mar 9 08:15:26 CST 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Roderick Colenbrander
<thunderbird2k at> wrote:
> I might be able to measure it using my oscilloscope. Somehow I would
> need to play lets say the left channel 'without' latency and the other
> channel with and compare the two signals.

Yes, absolutely, but it'd be good to make this measurement easy
to repeat by anybody interested.  To do that, let's just loop the
audio output back into the audio input.  The user will have to
provide a loopback cable (or, worst case, put his mike right up
to the speaker, and allow for a tiny bit of extra latency
from that).
- Dan