.net 3.5sp1 status check, blocking GFWL

Edward Savage epssyis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 00:48:32 CDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:55 AM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> The appdb for another game, Fallout 3,
> http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=14322
> suggests
> "1) Download msasn1.dll from e.g. here
> 2) Override msasn1.dll in Wine Configuration. How to Override DLL
> 3) Download gfwlivesetupmin.exe from e.g. here
> 4) Install gfwlivesetupmin.exe but without .NET Framework
> 5) Only set xlive to native in Wine Configuration."
>
> The playonlinux script for that game,
> http://www.playonlinux.com/repository/?script=402
> shows that the way to do 4) is
>
> wine gfwlivesetupmin.exe /nodotnet
>
> Does that help?
>
> I guess winetricks should add a gfwl verb that does that,
> but we would need a better source for msasn1.dll.  There
> might be a usable one inside
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/b/4/db49275f-7741-47cc-b8d5-42a3129499c1/Q835732_xpe_sp2_x86_enu.exe
> can somebody try it?
>
> And then, as http://wiki.winehq.org/msasn1 suggests, we ought to implement
> msasn1 in wine.
> - Dan

Vitaliy Bioshock 2 was not in my list as it was a personal list of
games I knew to be affected.  If you know more please add to the list
as I know there are a number!

Dan when you first run games in Steam that require redist of some type
Steam will run a 'first use' script that attempts to install the
required software packages.  In the case of GFWL the script falls over
as it cannot handle installing GFWL sans .net and the game cannot be
played as this first use script cannot be skipped.

If you install GFWL as a stand alone application it actually installs
without .net 3.5sp1 present.  It has a check box in the installer
allowing you to continue and makes a note that it will not work until
you have .net at the final screen (/nodotnet must be the cli
invocation of this).  Steam how ever does not check if the redists
have been install previously.  This was the reason for my suggestion
of faking .net being installed to satisfy this Steam script and allow
games to be run regardless.

Of course leap frogging this issue still leaves GFWL unrunnable.  In
most games this means you cannot save progress and others not be able
to run at all.  I take it .net 3.5 support is in the too hard basket?