GSoC '10 Project Proposal: Buildbot Automated Testing System

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Mar 19 07:26:41 CDT 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 12:57 AM, Maarten Lankhorst
<m.b.lankhorst at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a bit opposed, since there are 3 or 4 such projects already. So there
> has to be big advantage to your system if you want to introduce another.
>
> What would be the advantage of buildbot over say, gre' s winetestbot, which
> allows you to test your patches, the build project dan did, or cxtest?

It's standardized, i.e. it's winning the distributed build-and-test
harness race.
So people familiar with it from other projects can expand our test
infrastructure
by adding a new slave without having to learn yet another strange harness
that was cobbled together in sh or perl.  There's even enough development
going on in buildtestbot that it has a decent amount of polish.

(So, for instance, it would make it easy for a bunch of people to add
new slaves in their bedrooms.  Wait, that doesn't sound right :-)
- Dan