Updated game checklist - columns now sortable

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Mar 19 21:35:21 CDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 10:31 PM, Edward Savage <epssyis at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would think a logical extension to this sort of work would be a
> triage list of important bugs and regressions to be dealt with in
> quick order.

Well... that's kind of what bugzilla and the appdb are for.

> I'm raising this as it seems very few gamers who use wine seem to
> report bugs or do regression tests.  At most they seem to report that
> there is a problem on the forums or on the app page comments and leave
> it at that.

Yeah, historically, a few people (me included) have spent time watching
the forums for that kind of report, and turned them into real bug reports.

> If there was a centralised method of telling other gamers who are
> prepared to do tests and reports that there is a specific problem with
> xyz games it may improve the quality of information bug fixers have to
> work with and get problems sorted out in a timely fashion.

I suppose a way to make it really easy to test one's
favorite set of games on the latest wine (as well as on
any earlier release), and just click a big red 'Regression'
button the moment one found one, might help.

> Games are probably the biggest single application instance usage of
> wine so having a specific case for this genre of application make
> sense to me.

Agreed.

> As another suggestion I'd be prepared to write a WWN style monthly
> report on the state of games running in wine.  Including which ones no
> longer work, what new ones work, and what major efforts need to be
> undertaken for new games to work.  I did a journalism elective last
> semester so it probably wouldn't suck as bad as my last attempt at
> writing a WWN.  I would assume it would be totally independent of WWN
> releases.

Nah, just add it in to WWN, no reason to do anything separate.
Start small!  Just write a little section in
http://wiki.winehq.org/RecentNewsQueue

Heck, it is about time for another WWN, isn't it?
- Dan
[resending to list with permission]