Google Summer of Code ideas

Stefan Dösinger stefan at codeweavers.com
Mon Mar 22 13:56:34 CDT 2010

Am Montag 22 März 2010 18:49:36 schrieb Charles Davis:
> 1. Quartz Driver. This is something a lot of Wine-on-Mac users (myself
> included) have been wanting for while now. Of course, the entire driver
> itself is a big project, so I would limit the scope to implementing a
> small piece of it--say, windowing (which shouldn't be too hard thanks to
> my new "Deobjectivizer" tool)--and then finishing what I started after
> SoC ends.
I think the problem with this is that it needs a proper driver infrastructure
and putting some code from winex11 that belongs into user32 there. Nobody
knows how to do it, so it is certainly beyond the scope of a gsoc project. We
tried it before(DIB engine), and it failed miserably.

> 2. QuickTime backend for DirectShow. This is is similar to the GStreamer
> backend, but it won't require people to install GStreamer on Mac just to
> get this support. To get 64-bit support, we have to use the Cocoa
> version of QuickTime, but again, thanks to Deobjectivizer, we can avoid
> writing it in Objective-C.
Sounds cool, although I am wondering what happened to the GStreamer code. Was
it merged?

> 3. Implementing SCSI support on Mac OS X. I had patches to do this, but
> I deleted them because I thought they were inadequate. I want to do this
> to get copy protection working for some games on Mac OS X.
My sense is that this mainly needs a replacement cdrom driver, which should
stay outside of the Wine tree in a separate project(Correct me if I am wrong).
That's not necessarily a blocker for making this a Wine gsoc project - it
would even mean that you don't have to get all your code past Alexandre.