Verbose explanation about the cygwin issue

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 23:42:16 CDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:17 AM, Peter Rosin <peda at lysator.liu.se> wrote:
> So, you need to ask yourselves what you want to do. Do you want to
> build Cygwin dlls/executables (depends on Cygwin libc) or do you
> want to build MinGW dlls/executables (depends on msvcrt)?
>
> Mixing is not supported, and if you do that anyway with anything
> sufficiently non-trivial you get to keep the pieces, so the
> suggestion to use -L/usr/lib/w32api -lmsvcrt with the native
> Cygwin gcc is not good even if it appears to work. (hmmm, was
> that even the suggestion?)

I think I missunderstood the original problem with winegcc looking for
the entry point but the ultimate problem is still the same which is as
you pointed out which is linking to both msvcrt and the cygwin runtime
won't work. I think it could work if you don't actually use the system
msvcrt but instead use the wine msvcrt which is dependant on the
cygwin runtime.

--
Steven Edwards