Verbose explanation about the cygwin issue

GOUJON Alexandre ale.goujon at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 15:23:20 CDT 2010

Sorry for the delay,

First of all, I would like to explain why I tried to compile wine on cygwin.

My first goal was to help wine as some of you improve wine on different
systems (native 64 bits. WOW...).
I knew that wine compiled well on MinGW but I'm not using it.
Cygwin is, on my mind, simpler to set up and to use.
If you want git or gdb you have to click "next" several times and that's
done.
On MinGW, there is no bash or you have to install MSYS (from what I
remember) : it's painful to have a basic system.
But I'm not here to argue...

The previous answers of this topic made me wonder "what do we know ?".
Either we want to build wine on cygwin (depending on cygwin1.dll) or to
build it as a native Windows app.
The first approach means that we're going to build a windows emulator on
an emulator of unix system on a computer running Windows OS.
(I *know* that wine stands for Wine Is Not An Emulator but you
understood what I mean)
Does it make any sense ?

And the second one is building wine with MinGW.

--
But I agree we should replace "-no-cygwin" by something more .. meaningful.

It's not up to me to say what we should do, I'm only telling you my opinion.

Comments are, as always, welcome.