on most hated "OS" in the history of computing

Damjan Jovanovic damjan.jov at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 04:37:14 CDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Saulius Krasuckas <saulius2 at ar.fi.lt> wrote:
> Hello
>
> * On Sun, 28 Mar 2010, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
>>
>> Out of interest, why were you visiting openwatcom.org? Are you also
>> looking into Win16 tests for Wine?
>
> Kind of.  I was looking into licensing problems preventing its inclusion
> in Debian.  Seems like I should try starting negotiation between OWC folks
> and Debian-legal experts on slight license changes.
>

> S.

Why should Debian politics be a barrier to its adoption by Wine?

The installer from the openwatcom downloads page (version 1.8) works
well - just stick to the official release and not the "Alternative
Distributions" at the bottom of the page, which can't cross-compile.

Then after you install it, it's a simple matter of:
export WATCOM=/path/to/install/dir
export PATH=$WATCOM/binl:$PATH
export INCLUDE=$WATCOM/h/win
export LIB=$WATCOM/lib386/win
wcc -bt=windows hello.c
wcl -l=windows hello.o
wine hello.exe

where hello.c has this:

#include <windows.h>

int PASCAL WinMain( HINSTANCE this_inst, HINSTANCE prev_inst,
                    LPSTR cmdline, int cmdshow )
{
    MessageBox(NULL,"Hello world","Win16",MB_OK);
    return 0;
}

$ file hello.exe
hello.exe: MS-DOS executable, NE for MS Windows 3.x

:-)

Damjan