Summer of Code applicant with ambition!

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Mar 30 15:53:50 CDT 2010

John Koelndorfer wrote:
>I've again gone over the list of possible projects on
>the Summer of Code page and one that particularly piqued my interest
>was "Direct3D - Conformance / Performance / Interactive tests". This
>seems like it may be a good fit given my lack of previous experience
>in the Wine codebase. I haven't written any code for 3D-ish games but
>I can't imagine that would be a huge setback. Maybe Dan Kegel or
>someone else who has worked on D3D can comment here?

(Correction: I've never worked on D3D :-)

Offhand, if you're not already a 3d person, that might be kind of hard?
Although maybe the "get dxdiag working" task might be easy
enough.  (The only problem with that is it involves committing
someone else's code, which isn't a good focus for a GSOC project.)

>If that is not feasible, I think I would be a strong candidate for the
>"Test Suite" project since my scripting-fu is fairly strong.

Sure, you could find and fix tons of problems that way, I bet.
- Dan