Summer of Code applicant with ambition!

John Koelndorfer jkoelndorfer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 17:13:29 CDT 2010

I've done a little bit of research on Direct3D. Having seen how easy
the tutorial at http://www.directxtutorial.com/ is, I think I'd like
to propose the following: a 3D benchmarking program that would allow
users and developers to determine what aspects of WineD3D are the
slowest so that they can be improved.

My high level idea is that a user would be able to set graphics
options (similar to a game -- or maybe automatically test many
configurations) and a 3D "demo" would run. It would time D3D function
calls so that we can get an idea for which functions need
optimization, report FPS at points in time, and whatever else makes
sense as I learn more about it.

As I mentioned before, I haven't really done anything w/ 3D but in my
endeavors as a student I've taken up through calculus 4 (including
linear algebra) so I think that will give me a leg up here. I plan to
do some research on D3D before SOC begins.

Does this sound like it would be useful to work on? Working on 3D
sounds like a particularly fun project to me and I don't think I'd
mind spending some extra hours on it if need be.

Sorry for hitting the list so hard -- SOC was only recently suggested
to me and I am really set on contributing to Wine if that's possible.

Again, thanks for your support and suggestions.

John