Summer of Code applicant with ambition!

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Wed Mar 31 04:56:13 CDT 2010

Hi,

I think writing (yet another) D3D benchmark isn't going to help a lot, there
are already numerous benchmarks out there.

I have built a very hacky set of cxtest and php scripts that run a bunch of
benchmarks and games(3DMark, Half Life 2, UT 2004, Team Fortress), store the
results on a server and generate some graphs with gnuplot. Extending this and
making it easier for others to run would be more useful than implementing
another benchmark.

If you want to get familiar with the D3D code writing tests is a good start.
If you want to implement some small new functionality, maybe Nvidia's Depths
Bound extension( NVDB, see http://aras-p.info/texts/D3D9GPUHacks.html ) might
be a possible weekend project.

Btw, the above webpage might have some other d3d9 "extensions" that are more
work could be suitable for Gsoc projects, maybe DF16, DF24, INTZ, RAWZ, NULL
and ATOC.

Optimizing wined3d is certainly an idea as well, but it's not an easy task.
We're beyond the point where you can get reasonable performance gains from
simply fixing a loop or two. Some performance issues are known bugs(sRGB
switching, sRGB write correction in HW, thread synchronization), others
require tedious debugging to find out what specific 3D drivers don't like about
our GL calls.