A proposal for implementing dxdiag.exe: thoughts?

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Wed Mar 31 15:24:01 CDT 2010

I am still skeptical about the directx conformance test part. For one part, we already have this: It's our regular unit tests, to be found in dlls/d3d?/tests/*, dlls/ddraw/tests/*, etc.

For end user purposes it would make more sense to write tests testing for known driver bugs and report them to the user, stating a possible solution(usually "hope for a driver update") and possible game specific problems this may cause. I'm not convinced that this is worth the effort however, since usually all we can tell the user is that his driver is broken and that the game won't run no matter what he does.

Concerning tests, a possible project would be to pick an ATI and Nvidia GPU and make sure that our existing conformance tests pass on both GPUs on at least WinXP, WinVista and Win7. Currently there is no single Windows setup that can run all the tests successfully(usually because the tests are too strict), and that is a shame.