Wine looses a bit gaming and wins mobility?

Edward Savage epssyis at gmail.com
Thu May 6 02:24:04 CDT 2010

It is a shame that it is just a rumor but really that's all it's been
for the last half decade.  Plus, Phoronix refuses to release this
binary their meant to have found which I tend to think means they
don't have it.  Steam for Linux would really be a huge win for native
gaming but from Valves point of view it might be too risky?

A better solution which you'd hope they'd approach Codeweavers or the
likes of Ubuntu about would be integrating Wine into a native Steam to
run Win32 binaries of non-native games.  On top of native Source games
that is.  This would be pretty easy, and using the Steam
first-time-run script system we could actually make a native version
support Win32 binaries via Wine ourselves (if it agreed to download
and install them!).

On the Steam topic I should note that Steam is now at the point where
you can run it in the background 24/7.  There is a patch that allows
you to buy things via the Steam store and using the latest Beta Client
update from the opt-in menu removes the last couple of CPU intensive
problems with running it (this is distinct from the new UI update).

I've had it open for the last week just like a native program and it's
great to catch up with friends playing various games instead of them
having to tell you to login and join!