Wine looses a bit gaming and wins mobility?

Paul "TBBle" Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Thu May 6 10:02:36 CDT 2010

On 6 May 2010 17:24, Edward Savage <epssyis at gmail.com> wrote:
> A better solution which you'd hope they'd approach Codeweavers or the
> likes of Ubuntu about would be integrating Wine into a native Steam to
> run Win32 binaries of non-native games.  On top of native Source games
> that is.  This would be pretty easy, and using the Steam
> first-time-run script system we could actually make a native version
> support Win32 binaries via Wine ourselves (if it agreed to download
> and install them!).

It's worth noting on this point that they already do roughly this for
older games with DOSBox, and I think they bundle ScummVM too.

So a native Linux Steam client would get both the ported Source engine
games, and any other games that are emulated using a cross-platform
backend, even before they look at integrating Wine for other games.

Then again, I don't know if it's Valve doing the emulation
integration, or the content owners...

--
Paul "TBBle" Hampson, Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com