Release plans

Brian Vincent brian.vincent at gmail.com
Wed May 12 11:27:36 CDT 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Edward Savage <epssyis at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 1:08 AM, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > It seems to me what we really want is more than a changelog but a proper
> > release announcement.  I want a journalist who has hardly heard of Wine
> > to read the page and understand what we've done and why it's great.

Jeremy - do you have a copy of the real press release we did for 1.0?  I dug
around looking for it and couldn't find it.  Looks like we never properly
posted it on WineHQ.  It did get picked up by quite a few news sites, but
Google isn't finding it.

Scott /  Edward - when 1.0 came out, Jeremy had the PR firm that writes copy
for Codeweavers put together a press release for Wine.  It was pretty good
and fairly polished.  I'm not sure if having them do it again would be an
option.  Also, I think Wine 1.0 was coordinated with a release of Crossover
7.0.

Also, what would be really good would be to provide some contact information
for people that can be used by the press to ask some simple questions about
the release.  It'd be good to have a European contact and a US one.
 However, be prepared to actually get called and be available by email to
answer questions.  News sites like to turn articles around in a matter of
hours, so it needs a tiny bit of attention.

PS - Hung out with Mike McCormack on Monday.  It was good to see him again.

-Brian