Work on WineQuartz for MacOSX

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun May 16 22:04:41 CDT 2010

Roderick Colenbrander wrote:
>On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 6:02 PM, C.W. Betts <computers57 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On May 16, 2010, at 9:31 AM, James Mckenzie wrote:
>>> All:
>>>
>>> There was or is a quite lengthy thread on this project.
>>>
>>> What is the status of work?  Any progress on Emmanuel's work from 2008?
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> James McKenzie
>>>
>> If memory serves, the main reason why there hasn't been any work done is because of the
>> dependency of Objective-C, which the project administrator has said "no" to.
>>
>The fact that Cocoa is objective C is one of the issues (Charles Davis
>made some C wrapper I think). The most problematic thing is that it
>really need is a DIB engine. The Cocoa graphics APIs are similar to
>Cairo / XRender / Direct2D and other modern APIs. These APIs are great
>for vector drawing, alpha blending and other fancy operations but they
>are not low-level 2D APIs. For instance they lack most classic
>(bitwise) 2D ROPs. The classic rendering stuff (Windows 7 does it this
>way as well) has to be performed in software by a DIB engine.
>
>Roderick

Charles Davis did not 'make a c wrapper', Apple did.  However you are more correct in that we need a fully functional DIB engine in order to fully move the Apple interface from X11 to Aqua.  I was inquiring if both of these actions have occurred.  Max was working diligently on a DIB engine until AJ basically shot his work full of holes and he left.

Again, what is the status of updating/upgrading Emmanuel's work?  Has it been left for dead or is someone working in the background on it?  I would like to pick it up and start looking at it again and seeing if the Obj-C code could be converted to plain 'c' or if we have to bring up a sidebar version of Wine that will be Aqua complaint.  Having been through this with the OpenOffice.org and NeoOffice.org projects, this is a political area I really don't want to visit, but if it has to be that way, then it will head off in that direction.

James McKenzie