Work on WineQuartz for MacOSX

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Mon May 17 00:52:44 CDT 2010

On 5/16/10 9:04 PM, James Mckenzie wrote:
> Roderick Colenbrander wrote:

>>> If memory serves, the main reason why there hasn't been any work done is because of the
>>> dependency of Objective-C, which the project administrator has said "no" to.
>>>
>> The fact that Cocoa is objective C is one of the issues (Charles Davis
>> made some C wrapper I think). The most problematic thing is that it
>> really need is a DIB engine. The Cocoa graphics APIs are similar to
>> Cairo / XRender / Direct2D and other modern APIs. These APIs are great
>> for vector drawing, alpha blending and other fancy operations but they
>> are not low-level 2D APIs. For instance they lack most classic
>> (bitwise) 2D ROPs. The classic rendering stuff (Windows 7 does it this
>> way as well) has to be performed in software by a DIB engine.
>>
>> Roderick
>>
> Charles Davis did not 'make a c wrapper', Apple did.
Actually, he was referring to my tool for autogenerating C wrappers. I
haven't been working on it much, but I'll have it ready for you guys soon.
>  However you are more correct in that we need a fully functional DIB engine in order to fully move the Apple interface from X11 to Aqua.
I agree. We need a DIB engine. Quartz by itself doesn't support
low-level raster operations (it's a vector engine).
>  I was inquiring if both of these actions have occurred.
Not really. Not as far as I know. I have a Quartz Driver in my tree, but
it's nowhere near finished. I'm now thinking about merging mine and
Emmanuel's work. Maybe if I put the two half-finished drivers together,
we'll have a better working driver (without DIB support, but that needs
either the DIB engine or some other way to accelerate DIB drawing).
>  Max was working diligently on a DIB engine until AJ basically shot his work full of holes and he left.
Someone needs to pick up his work--or at least, the job of writing a DIB
engine. Personally, I would write one from scratch instead of trying to
integrate X11's software drawing engine. It's been said that the X11
server code isn't known for its neatness... But that's just me.

> Again, what is the status of updating/upgrading Emmanuel's work?  Has it been left for dead or is someone working in the background on it?
As soon as I'm finished with my C wrapper generator, I'll take a look at
Emmanuel's Quartz Driver.

Chip