Release plans

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Thu May 20 14:44:02 CDT 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Damjan Jovanovic <damjan.jov at gmail.com> wrote:
> winemenubuilder generates .png only for 24 and 32 bits-per-pixel
> icons, all other resolutions get converted to .xpm. I am planning to
> change it to make .png's for everything, since thumbnailing .lnk files
> requires .png as output, and then keep .xpm only as a fallback when
> libpng is not installed and we're not thumbnailing. This should help
> you on MacOS too.
>
> > I have no idea how the other packages built atop Wine behave on MacOS behave:
> >  - Kronenberg's WineBottler
> >  - doh's WineSkin
> >  - Macports build
> >  - CodeWeaver's CrossOver4Mac
> > I assume they create nice icons that the user can click after an install.

I have a hacked version in the Bordeaux tree that uses sips to create
icns icons and working Application bundles. If they have time, Austin
or Tom can send it along for your review if your interested. The
'right' solution would be to figure out how to make them happy with
png's or write a WIC encoder/filter/whatever for icns, I just don't
have the time these days. Without getting off on to a long rant, I
'hacked' our version call sips on OS X to convert the images to icns.I
was never able to get App bundles to want to play nice with the png
images winemenubuilder spits out but it works most of the time. Since
it's derived LGPL code we are happy to share, though it really is a
hack and I am sure Alexandre would not want it in the tree, even for
the new release.

Thanks
--
Steven Edwards