dinput2

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Thu May 20 23:29:06 CDT 2010

On 05/20/2010 06:15 PM, Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
> On 05/20/2010 12:49 AM, David Adam wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> many distro ship the X-server with dinput2. More and more old games work
>> pretty well now with Wine, but the mouse. Does anyone plan to work on
>> the infamous bug 6971?
> If you talking about XI2 then see my notes about it in that bug. XI2 is
> unusable for what we need. Until that gets fixed we can't really use it.
>
> Then comes the question on how intrusive do you want it? You can use latest
> patch from the bug with minor adjustments. But to make things really right,
> whole keyboard processing inside x11drv have to be rewritten.

By the way, you're not the only one who wants this.  At the Ubuntu
Developer Summit we talked about the need for ripping the keyboard code
out of X entirely (and instead having it sit somewhere in the plumbing
lair).

I'll admit I'm not too familiar with the details about why this is a
good idea, but I believe it had something to do with keyboard layout
issues for International users, especially in East Asia.

Do you know anyone who might want to work on this?

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie