too much dynamic loading?

Marcus Meissner marcus at jet.franken.de
Fri May 21 12:28:21 CDT 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 01:03:09PM -0400, Steven Edwards wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Marcus Meissner <marcus at jet.franken.de> wrote:
> > As libjpeg and libpng bumped their major versions in the last months
> > I had to adjust some of my library requires in my wine.spec file.
> >
> > This caused me thinking if it is really necessary to dynamically
> > load nearly every library.
> >
> > Can we make some of those direct linking? libjpeg and libpng
> > and some other lowlevel libraries might be useful.
>
> +1 for static linking them.

No static linking either, its the nightmare of security maintainers ;)

But which distro doesnt have libjpeg or libpng? or libX11.so, libXext.so., libncurses.so...

To show what I mean ...  I currently have this line in my .spec file:

Requires:       libX11.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXcursor.so.1 libXi.so.6 libXxf86vm.so.1 libXrender.so.1 libXrandr.so.2 libXinerama.so
.1 libXcomposite.so.1 libGL.so.1 libGLU.so.1 libxslt.so.1 libncurses.so.5 libfreetype.so.6 libpng12.so.0 libjpeg.so.62 libfontcon
fig.so.1 libcups.so.2
to make sure everything is installed. I might forget stuff and so reduce functionality unintentionally.

While this is not necessary on 32bit systems, it is definitely necessary on a 64bit system, where
the 32bit Wine has to pull its requires or they will not be installed.

Ciao, Marcus