too much dynamic loading?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun May 23 16:18:34 CDT 2010

ryan woodsmall wrote:
>> I'm not convinced direct linking will work better on Mac OS X, unless
>> you ship libpng and libjpeg with Wine.
>
> And libgnutls (plus prereqs libgpg-error & libgcrypt). And libgphoto2,
> libexif, libtiff, libgsm, libjbig... - there's a laundry list of
> libraries that are required for a full-featured Wine install, and
> prereqs of prereqs, prereqs of THOSE. You get the point. Static
> libraries on Mac OS X/Darwin also misbehave in odd ways that you
> simply don't see with dylibs as well.

Does not Wine's configure not include these if they are not found?

Yes, a MacOSX build should either:

1.  Get them.
2.  Ship with them, build for the LCD MacOSX version (right now that it
is, believe it or not, Tiger [MacOSX 10.4.11].)

MacOSX does not include many UNIX type programs and utilities because
they are not used in the base product.  MacPorts and Fink are two
porting efforts to bring UNIX utilities/programs to MacOSX and most of
the utilities can be built from source.

However, MacOSX Wine distributors cannot rely on which version of a
utility I installed and even if I did.

Many MacOSX users have been quietly surprised when their favorite
Windows program causes a complete system lockup because of a faulty or
incomplete Wine installation....

James McKenzie