kernel32 nls file codepage conversion

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at codeweavers.com
Sun May 30 01:10:53 CDT 2010

Frédéric Delanoy <frederic.delanoy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm intending to convert dlls/kernel32/nls/fr.nls from CP 1252 to CP
> 65001 (UTF-8),

Is there a ny reason behind that?

> but I've some questions first:
> - most nls files are non-UTF8... is it intended? or just "legacy"?

nls files in Wine use Windows code page appropriate for the language
in that file, which a resource compiler understands, and which can be
corerctly converted to unicode.

> - can LOCALE_IDEFAULTANSICODEPAGE be set to 65001 or should it be left
> at its current "1252" value, i.e. is it necessary for compatibility
> with older win versions where UTF-8 is not the default (correct me if
> I'm wrong)?

Noone Windows version uses UTF-8 for locales. LOCALE_IDEFAULTANSICODEPAGE
must be set to the ANSI code page used by Windows for that laguage (i.e.
leave it alone).

> - LOCALE_SCURRENCY is set to char code 80 (<80> in vim). What is that
> exactly? The code for the euro sign in a specific  code page? which
> one?

The code page the file uses (1252 for fr.nls).

--
Dmitry.