Call for translators

Dwayne Bailey dwayne at translate.org.za
Mon May 31 06:14:49 CDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-28 at 21:32 +0200, Paul Vriens wrote:
> On 05/28/2010 11:58 AM, Michael Stefaniuc wrote:
> > Not really. The translation statistics page is generated every time
> > afresh from the Wine source code; it doesn't keep state. It would be a
> > significant amount of work to do that. Probably more than fixing it The
> > Right Way(TM) aka making Wine use PO files. With PO files there isn't
> > the need to copy untranslated strings just to not break a resource. And
> > with that the pedantic mode becomes less useful and we can use other
> > existing PO based "verify translation" tools, e.g.
> > http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/checking_for_inconsistencies
> > So if you would have translated "OK" to "OK" but also some of them to
> > "Oui" you would get notified about that.
>
> But what about the different sized controls for some languages? I agree
> though that po files are more accessible to a wider audience

I thought about that a bit with rc2po.  I never implemented it but I
would use user comments to allow configuration settings to be changed.

E.g.

# @RC-Size: 15, 110, 230, 55
msgid "Save"
msgstr "Stoor"

So anything that would need to be changed could be put in those comments
and edited by a translator.

But if Wine was to move to PO files the right approach might be to build
RC files from PO files instead of the current approach.

--
Dwayne Bailey
Associate             Research Director        +27 12 460 1095 (w)

Recent blog posts:
* Localisation: How we guess the target translation language in Virtaal
http://www.translate.org.za/blogs/dwayne/en/content/localisation-how-we-guess-target-translation-language-virtaal
* Continuous integration, can it work for software localisation?
* Translate Toolkit - a powerful localisation toolkit

Firefox web browser in Afrikaans - http://af.www.mozilla.com/af/
African Network for Localisation (ANLoc) - http://africanlocalisation.net/