New version of exe-thumbnailer (0.7)

Nicholas van Oudtshoorn vanoudt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 20:20:57 CDT 2010

On 10/04/2010 09:44 PM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 4:07 AM, Nicholas van Oudtshoorn
> <vanoudt at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 10/04/2010 08:39 AM, Octavian Voicu wrote:
>>>
>>> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Scott Ritchie<scott at open-vote..org
>>> <mailto:scott at open-vote.org>>  wrote:
>>>
>>>     Includes much prettier icons, support for Vista icons (with icoutils
>>>     0.29.1) and more.
>>>
>>>     Screenshots and a description are at:
>>>     http://wiki.winehq.org/exe-thumbnailer
>>>

>>> Nice! Any plans for Kubuntu / KDE support? :)
>>>
>>> Octavian
>>>

>> Nice!
>>
>> Just to note, KDE/Dolphin already has built-in support for thumnbailing exe
>> files. (Although, in Fedora at least, it's not enabled by default; just tell
>> dolphin to show previews for "Microsoft Windows Executables".
>>
>> I've also got code on the KDE reviewboard that'll take care of LNK files -
>> if it gets picked up, that'll be natively supported by KDE too...
>>
>> Nicholas
>
> How does thumbnailing LNK files work? You get a Windows icon path out,
> which you have to convert to a *nix path - you'd have to use
> ~/.wine/dosdevices and do case-insensitive filename matching, and even
> that would only work for LNK files created by Wine, those on a Windows
> partition have Windows's idea of drive mappings which is probably
> different from Wine.
>
> Damjan Jovanovic

Agreed - the gnome version does look much better at the moment.
Thumbnailing LNK files is done by doing a simple parse of the LNK file,
and then using wine's winepath command to convert that into a wine path.
(Hence "winepath" :) )

Certainly, LNK files on Windows partitions wouldn't work at all (under
the current way it's being done.)

Nicholas