RTL in console windows

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Sun Oct 17 06:52:02 CDT 2010

On 15/10/10 16:06, Yaron Shahrabani wrote:
> So my dillema is as follows:
> Should we continue helping improving the support of displaying RTL
> languages in wineconsole or should we just ignore the CLI strings like
> MS did with all of their OSes (Since Windows XP Hebrew is no longer
> supported officially, meaning that you have to apply 3rd party patches
> in order to make Hebrew text appear in cmd), Hebrew in command line is
> only used by some old healthcare services and lots of old games and
> ancient word processors and database apps (some of them died after
> Windows dominated the market).
If Windows doesn't do it, I don't think we should.

Then again, it is my understanding that in some places, Windows does do
it. Powershell, was pointed out by Michael Kaplan
(http://blogs.msdn.com/b/michkap/archive/2010/10/07/10072032.aspx - myth
6). I have not tested it myself, but if that is correct, we need to do
it like Windows does it, under the same circumstances.

> Another vital question I want to to this message is to ask our fellow
> Arabic and Persian speakers what do they have to say about this issue
> and if their propriatery operating systems has the same issues...
This is irrelevant. Our standard of operation is "what Windows does".

Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.