Translation of the AppDB

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 19 23:48:22 CDT 2010

  On 10/19/10 10:20 AM, Yaron Shahrabani wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Rosanne DiMesio
> <dimesio at earthlink.net <mailto:dimesio at earthlink.net>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 12:12:33 +0200
>     Yaron Shahrabani <sh.yaron at gmail.com <mailto:sh.yaron at gmail.com>>
>     wrote:
>
>     > I see but I had another idea in mind...
>     > I was thinking about having the possibility to rate and report
>     but without
>     > any way to comment, I mean that you cannot comment in foreign
>     languages but
>     > you can vote and report (any operation that requires clicking is
>     OK, typing
>     > is not).
>     >
>     It's not possible to report without typing, and ratings without
>     the typed information as to why the user gave the app that rating
>     would be at best useless (Why is this silver? What doesn't work?),
>     and at worst misleading. "False platinums" in particular are
>     already a big problem: users give an app a platinum rating, but
>     list tweaks they applied (so it really should be gold) or things
>     that didn't work (so it really should be silver). Admins and
>     maintainers need that typed information to assess whether a rating
>     is correct.
>
> I fully understand, so reporting is way complicated without typing...
> Well its just a thought but maybe we should consider simplifying the
> whole process, maybe this way more data will be collected.

Yaron:

As a maintainer of several applications, I want to know about
improvements/regressions of all functions in those applications.  Thus,
I ask those who use the products I maintain to provide details 'What
Works' and 'What Does Not Work' and these must be, for the present time,
in English.  Sorry, but English is the "Universal" language.  The boxes,
for now, should stay.

There are many 'drop down' menus that it would be nice to input Hebrew
and have English populate them.  Would this be a good idea?

James McKenzie