Keeping people from trying iTunes in Wine?

Rosanne DiMesio dimesio at
Thu Sep 9 08:34:50 CDT 2010

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 00:59:32 -0700
Dan Kegel <dank at> wrote:

> Watching Twitter, one fairly frequently seems people trying
> and failing to run iTunes 10 and the like in Wine.
> Should we let them bash their heads against the wall like that?
> Maybe we should detect the top ten apps that don't work
> with Wine, and put up a warning dialog saying they are
> known not to work, and people shouldn't try.
> (Kind of like what Windows 7 does when you do something
> dangerous, e.g. try to look at the contents of drive C:.)
Do you really want to prevent users from ever testing these apps in new versions of Wine, or trying to find workarounds? I do a fair amount of head-bashing myself, and I would find such a message patronizing and intrusive.

Rosanne DiMesio <dimesio at>