Keeping people from trying iTunes in Wine?

Luke Benstead kazade at
Thu Sep 9 10:06:34 CDT 2010

On 9 September 2010 15:53, Dan Kegel <dank at> wrote:

> Scott wrote:
> > This would be relatively simple to implement, and would even
> > be doable with a shell script outside of Wine.  Just md5sum
> > the .exe, compare it with a blacklist, pop the warning if so,
> > and if not pass it to the normal Wine process.
> You'd probably want to sha1sum only the first megabyte
> or so, since getting the checksum of a gigabyte
> executable would really slow things down.
> And you might want to do it only for files that
> are doubleclicked on, i.e. in the desktop integration,
> rather than messing with the real wine.
> - Dan
> I brought up a long time ago the idea of having something like this that
checked the current rating in the appdb. So exe files are associated with
the appdb entry and double-clicking would say something like: "This Windows
application is rated as Bronze and may not run correctly" or something.