Keeping people from trying iTunes in Wine?

Michael Hunter michaelrf.hunter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 12:55:20 CDT 2010

Hello

On 9 September 2010 08:59, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> Watching Twitter, one fairly frequently seems people trying
> and failing to run iTunes 10 and the like in Wine.
>
> Should we let them bash their heads against the wall like that?
>
> Maybe we should detect the top ten apps that don't work
> with Wine, and put up a warning dialog saying they are
> known not to work, and people shouldn't try.
> (Kind of like what Windows 7 does when you do something
> dangerous, e.g. try to look at the contents of drive C:.)

Forgive me if I am posting to the wrong mailing list. I was going to
post my question in the Users mailing list/forum before I came across
this thread.

An Introduction

I use SUSE Linux 10.3 and I downloaded Wine version 1.3.1 to enable me
to use the Watchtower Library (I am a Jehovah's Witness.)

I am a progammer and have taken delivery of an Apple iPad.
Unfortunately my iMac G4 has packed up (it won't boot up) so my
relevant question is what process would I have to adopt to be able to
help myself and others to run iTunes under Wine? Admittedly, I would
need to use the iTunes store and maybe this could be a problem. I have
noted the comments in the AppDB relating to iTunes version 9.2.1.

I would appreciate your comments on whether this is advisable etc.

TIA

Michael

--
michaelrf.hunter at gmail dot com