[1/3] dsound: Add support for 32-bit IEEE float buffers

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 08:19:29 CDT 2010

On Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:38:47 am Henri Verbeet wrote:
> Is that correct in the first place though? This will produce a
> non-uniform mapping for positive and negative values. IIRC the common
> way to do these kinds of mappings is "((x * (2^n - 1)) - 1) / 2",
> which would be "x * 127.5f - .5f" for an 8 bit signed format. The main
> disadvantage of that method is that integer 0 doesn't correspond
> exactly to floating-point 0.0f, but in practice few people seem to
> care. Of course it all depends on how the target format is actually
> defined.

It likely doesn't matter, but it already has to check for values that exceed
the -1..+1 range, so one more check to see if it's positive or negative won't
make much of a difference, I don't think. Though if you'd rather do

        if (*v < -1.0f) d = -128;
        else if (*v >  1.0f) d = 127;
        else d = *v * 127.5f - .5f;

..as an alternative, it's fine by me as long as no one else has an objection.