WineAPI wiki progress (resent)

Max TenEyck Woodbury max at mtew.isa-geek.net
Wed Sep 15 21:47:39 CDT 2010

On 09/15/2010 10:56 AM, Francois Gouget wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2010, Max TenEyck Woodbury wrote:
>
>> The previous version ended up as a reply to something inappropriate.
>>
>> The wiki at https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/wineapi/index.php
>> now has pages for the directories in the Wine Repository with
>> classifications of the directory content.  Please take a look at it and
>> tell me if you think the content is useful and how it could be improved.
>
> The first thing is that it requires a SourceForge login which is just
> wrong for what's supposed to be a public resource. Hopefully that's
> temporary but it's likely to limit who can comment on it.

Actually, that was a mistake on my part. If you use:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/wineapi/index.php you can skip
the login.

> I don't see the point of creating one page for every single Wine source
> file. That makes the WineAPI website very very Wine-specific and
> duplicates GitWeb functionality. My understanding is that this is
> supposed to provide documentation about the Windows APIs in a more open,
> collaborative and long-term way than MSDN. People who come for the
> documentation won't care whether CreateFile is implemented in file.c or
> kernel_main.c and that Wine has a Makefile.in file or an nls subfolder.

A little off point, but it points up an alternative. The process of
scanning the repository is all I have in place at this point and I
really should label the pages generated so far as Wine specific. That
way other projects could produce similar pages specific to their
structure. There is not a page for every file, only those that I intend
to analyze. If I don't plan to analyze it, I simply provide a link to
the file in the repository.

I have *not* gotten started on the extraction of the API information. I
plan to label each page of that type with an 'API/' prefix so that it
would be common to multiple projects. I needed to get the framework in
place so that I could the results where it will be possible to find
them. Now that is done, the real work begins...

- Max