D3D via Gallium

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 09:32:40 CDT 2010

On Tuesday, September 21, 2010 7:06:30 am Zachary Goldberg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I found the following article/commit very interesting this morning.
> Has anybody else been looking at this and put thought into whether it
> will work with Wine?

IIRC, it's been discussed before, and it simply wouldn't work. D3D has too
many ties to the Windows API that a non-Windows based implementation wouldn't
be appropriate for Wine (try getting an HDC from a D3D resource, or passing an
HWND to D3D). Gallium would have to substitute these for X11 resources, or
custom resources that tie into X, so wouldn't reflect the Wine's internal
state.

Additionally, not all drivers will support Gallium (eg. nVidia binaries), so a
D3D10->GL path will still be needed.