Right-To-Left (RTL) languages and Wine

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Wed Sep 29 16:29:41 CDT 2010

On 29/09/10 21:59, James Mckenzie wrote:
> And Microsoft Office appears different in RTL rather than LTR.  I used to work with someone that had the Arabic version of these programs and it would switch from RTL when typing in Arabic to LTR when typing in a Latin-based language.
I'm sorry, but you are confusing several issues here. The question is
not whether to implement BiDi (yes, provided we find the working hands
to do it) or mirroring (yes, except I don't think we need to bother with
mirroring the window decoration UI components that Windows does, and I
have not heard anyone else weight in on this issue lately). The question
is whether Wine's built in application should set a specific flag to do
automatic mirroring.

Since Word is not a Wine built in application, what it does is
irrelevant for this discussion, not because we don't intend to support
it, but because it is undisputed we do.

Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.