About Wine/Gecko/MSHTML

Jacek Caban jacek at codeweavers.com
Fri Apr 1 05:40:54 CDT 2011

Hi Artem,

On 3/31/11 9:13 PM, Artem S. Tashkinov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have no idea to what extent and how Mozilla's Gecko library is being used in Wine (all I know is that it's used in Wine's MSHTML component), but recently a Mozilla developer made a very unsettling announcement: groups dot google dot com/d/topic/mozilla.dev.embedding/c_NMcO-N8wo/discussion
>
> I wonder if this announcement has any adverse effects on Wine's future.

We don't use any of mentioned APIs that are about to be removed. We use
Gecko more internal APIs. They are unfrozen for a while now and it's not
really a news that Mozilla developers don't care much about embedders
when making product direction decisions. It's definitely not a good for
us, but it's nothing new, so I wouldn't worry too much (at lest not yet).

Cheers,
     Jacek