RFC: doc for message contexts additions in PO files

Frédéric Delanoy frederic.delanoy at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 04:03:45 CDT 2011

Hi guys,

I've put together the following doc for the introduction of message
contexts. It's still a bit raw but I'd improve it for the wiki
version.

Could you please have a look and help proofread it?
I'd like to ensure I didn't miss an important step.

Thanks in advance.

Frédéric Delanoy

PS: BTW what is the reference version? en_US.po or en.po?

*********

Adding one/more message contexts (ADD LINK TO EXTERNAL DOC) (QUICK MC
EXPLANATION)

Prerequisite: enable maintainer mode using ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode
(you might have to add some development packages; check with your distribution
for infos).

1. Locate strings to be "altered"

Say you have in your localized po file:

#: file1.rc:123 file2.rc:456
msgid "ambiguous word"
msgstr "translation"

and you want to disambiguate, you'd do the following

2. Find appropriate translations
   - check the respective rc entries
     (in file1.rc line 123)
     FOO "ambiguous word"

     (in file2.rc line 456)
     BAR "ambiguous word"

     and find their meaning/context (e.g. using some code browsing
tools, like cscope to find references; running the program is
recommanded, ...)

3. Add the messages contexts
   - The following syntax is used: "translation" -> "#msgctxt#your
context#translation"

   - You end up with sthg like

     FOO "#msgctxt#context #ambiguous word#"

     Similarly

     BAR "#msgctxt#context 2#ambiguous word#"

3. Run 'make depend && make'
4. Edit your po file to add the new translations
5. Ideally, remove the "#, fuzzy" automatically inserted in the
En_US.po reference
file (and En.rc ).
6. Run 'make' again and test your changes.