Assorted spelling fixes.

Francois Gouget fgouget at
Wed Aug 3 18:23:15 CDT 2011

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011, Frédéric Delanoy wrote:
> > -rem Removing non-existent directory
> > +rem Removing nonexistent directory
> There is apparently no hard rule on the usage of hypens between 'non'
> and a subsequent adjective, but I've seen lots of "non-" (sometimes
> even "non ") so I wouldn't call that a spelling error.
> Furthermore, the "non-" form is more readable IMHO

My paper dictionary lists a number of 'non-xxx' and 'nonxxx' words. It
has 'nonexistent' and not 'non-existent'. The Merriam-Webster also
prefers 'nonexistent'.

Mozilla did a pass through their code replacing 'onn-existent' with

However I'll acknowledge that a number of other online dictionaries
seem to accept both forms. Maybe the explanation is in the Cambridge
Dictionaries; they have 'non-existent' in the British dictionary and
'nonexistent' in the US one.*1+0&dict=A

Overall 'nonexistent' seemed better referenced in the dictionaries and
more 'legitimate'. But I can leave either form as is if that's

Francois Gouget <fgouget at>
          tcA thgirypoC muinelliM latigiD eht detaloiv tsuj evah uoY