Current state of USBD.SYS

Damjan Jovanovic damjan.jov at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 10:23:00 CDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 1:15 AM,  <louis at museresearch.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  I'm in the process of migrating custom patches made to WINE 1.1.7 to
> WINE 1.3.24.  Among those is USBD.SYS, which we use to run a Windows
> driver for a specific USB device which has no equivalent Linux driver.
> I was wondering what to expect from 1.3.24 as far as USB device
> discovery and Windows driver support goes.  For example, our older
> patched version ties into Linux HAL to find devices, but there doesn't
> *appear* to be the same functionality in this newer stock version.  Does
> anyone know what the goal of usbd.sys is in WINE 1.3.24?

Yes, Wine added support for udev (because hal is now obsolute on most
Linux distributions), but AFAIK the plans were not to remove hal due
to backward compatibility.

No major changes to usbd.sys were made. Wine still doesn't detect USB
devices or load drivers or anything like that.

> Also what I'd like to find out is if there is maybe a cutting-edge
> usbd.sys module that hasn't made it into the development WINE branch.

I have plans to write more usbd.sys stuff but nothing as of yet. Are
you planning to release your custom patches at some stage?

> Anyway, thanks for your time and any help is greatly appreciated, as always.
>
> -Louis

Damjan