Hebrew: update

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Aug 23 08:38:46 CDT 2011

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011, Yaron Shahrabani wrote:
[...]
> > > Since we have certain RTL issues with the Linux kernel (Hebrew is
> > > displayed in reverse) we discourage the translators to translate
> > > strings that would probably appear there
> >
> > How does the Linux kernel get involved? Using Wine on the Linux console
> > would be quite unusual. Usually it is run in a Gnome terminal, and Xterm
> > or some other GUI equivalent. Don't these do their own handling of text
> > independently from the Linux kernel?
> Most terminal emulators doesn't support RTL besides MLTerm.

Ok, that makes more sense.

> Wineconsole does not support Hebrew or Arabic script out of the box,
> there are several fonts that should be installed in order to enable
> that, AFAIK Arabic displayed in the right order but the letters are
> not joined, I can check that and get back to you.

Is there a bug report for this? (I did not see one in a cursory search)

[...]
> > The translator comments will be preserved through the updates.
> I'm translating using Virtaal, meaning I can't add comments while
> translating and I guess other translators as well,

It looks like Virtaal needs fixing then. I did not find where one can
report bugs against it so I don't know if this issue is already known to
its developpers. In the meantime I find that emacs (with or without a
special editing more) is nice for editing PO files but I don't know how
well it works with RTL languages.

> I look at comments but sometimes when I have many strings to translate
> I don't have much time to stop and read each and every one of them, it
> takes a lot of my (precious) time so for the sake of efficiency I let
> myself ignore some of them, so do other Hebrew translators,

Well, for Wine it must be quick since it does not have any translator
or developper comment so far<g>.

 "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff on
       ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)" -- Linus Torvalds