Hebrew: update

Yaron Shahrabani sh.yaron at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 09:10:53 CDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2011, Yaron Shahrabani wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Wineconsole does not support Hebrew or Arabic script out of the box,
>> there are several fonts that should be installed in order to enable
>> that, AFAIK Arabic displayed in the right order but the letters are
>> not joined, I can check that and get back to you.
>
> Is there a bug report for this? (I did not see one in a cursory search)
Paul Vriens helped me with this one, and if I remember correctly he
also opened a bug...

> [...]
>
> It looks like Virtaal needs fixing then. I did not find where one can
> report bugs against it so I don't know if this issue is already known to
> its developpers. In the meantime I find that emacs (with or without a
> special editing more) is nice for editing PO files but I don't know how
> well it works with RTL languages.
Just like wine they have bigger issues to deal with thus they are not
adding any new dialogs until all the trivial bugs are fixed (In the
previous version it took more than a minute to load, Poedit takes
about 4-5 seconds).

When you want to use TM tools and make sure you enrich your TM cache
while translating, you better not use apps such as emacs, I translate
many apps, translating the same sentence over and over again is a
complete waste of time.
So I get all my former translations as suggestions (Alongside TM
suggestions from Google Translator, Microsoft Translator and
Open-Tran.eu), this procedure helps me to get into proportion when
translating and looking at the same term from different angles, its
like having someone proofreading your work while working although
using a human proofreader which have different views than you do can
definitely improve the translation quality.

>> I look at comments but sometimes when I have many strings to translate
>> I don't have much time to stop and read each and every one of them, it
>> takes a lot of my (precious) time so for the sake of efficiency I let
>> myself ignore some of them, so do other Hebrew translators,
>
> Well, for Wine it must be quick since it does not have any translator
> or developper comment so far<g>.

I was not talking about wine, its becoming a habit, when you translate
a large amount of apps you look at the comments only if you think that
the current translation might be misleading to the user, unfortunately
I can't make all the developers add comments whether the string is
displayed in CLI/GUI or both and frankly it could be nice but it
doesn't worth all the efforts, sometimes I prefer digging into the app
and trying to look at the general idea of it myself and then
translate, sometimes I skip because this is a real time consumer...

Just like developers have their own tips and tricks, so do
translators, sadly not all of them but the tools are gradually
improving yet still nothing can replace a professional human
translator.

Hope I made things straight.
Kind regards,
Yaron Shahrabani.