Hebrew: update

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Mon Aug 29 13:01:35 CDT 2011

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
[...]
> Yes, it does not support Unicode. That's why I said "1255", as in "Windows 1255", the ANSI
> encoding for Hebrew.

It does support Unicode (UTF-16) otherwise 'Hello' would have not been
displayed correctly. Furthermore I also tested with a Windows 1255
encoded and did not have any luck with it either.

> The first line was ok but the second one was either question marks or
> squares. The only fonts Windows will let me pick are 'Consolas', 'Lucida
> Console' and 'Raster Fonts'.
>
> It should let you pick any monospace font. At least one of those should contain a Hebrew
> encoding. If not, you might need to set the default locale to Hebrew in order to test this
> (which will only be possible after clicking "add support for complex text layout languages", or
> something to similar effect, in Regional Settings). This will also install the Hebrew fonts.

I am only given the three font choices I listed. Also I did test this in
a Hebrew locale. I did not have to check an 'add support for complex
text layout languages' option however. All I did was go to the Windows
Update site and select the Hebrew support option.

                     Linux: the choice of a GNU generation