Severe startup latencies for Windows applications run under wine

Henri Verbeet hverbeet at
Wed Aug 31 12:09:32 CDT 2011

On 31 August 2011 17:25, Ben Peddell <klightspeed at> wrote:
> msys-bash uses WriteProcessMemory() to copy 500kB during an emulated
> fork.  This equates to about 125000 ptrace(PTRACE_POKEDATA,...)
> syscalls, each of which takes about 0.8us on linux 2.6.38.
I wonder if writing to /proc/pid/mem instead would help here then,
similar to what we do in read_process_memory(). Writable /proc/pid/mem
is a relatively recent feature though, you'd probably need at least a
2.6.39 kernel.